About The Central Guoshu Institute
Central Guoshu Institute and Kung Fu
Guoshu (國術 Also spelled Kuoshu – literaly: National Art) was the term for Chinese Martial Arts (Kung Fu) adopted by the Republic of China at the time.
In April 1928, The Institute held its first national martial arts competition in Beijing and attracted 400 of the best martial artists in China.
General Li Jinglin chose five masters to represent northern China: Baguazhang master Fu Chen Sung; Shaolin Iron Palm master Gu Ruzhang; Six Harmony master Wan Laisheng; Tan Tui master Li Shanwu; and Cha Quan” master, Wang Shaozhao.
These men were known as the Wu Hu Xia Jiangnan (五虎下江南 – “Five tigers heading south of Jiangnan“).
Along with the Jing Wu Athletic Association, the Central Academy played a crucial role in the preservation and transmission of traditional Chinese martial arts into the 20th century.
The center relocated several times during World War II and returned to Nanjing in 1946. It closed in 1948 due to lack of funding.
Central Guoshu Institute: The Legacy
The legacy of the Central Guoshu Institute goes beyond its high level of traditional Chinese martial arts content.
Their motto was Morality and Martial Arts are Equally Important, One Must Train Both Martial and Academic Endeavors” [shu de bing zhong, wen wu jian xiu], according to which the purpose of Wushu and Kung Fu was to really defend oneself and strengthen the nation!
A martial artist should not use his skills to show off, nor should he bully others. If one is forced to defend oneself, one’s response should be measured, you should not try and severely hurt the opponent. At the same time as learning wushu, a student had to learn the health side of the arts, investigate academic knowledge and science, and ‘digest’ martial art theories and materials.
This ‘Central Guoshu Institute spirit’ meant that the majority of its graduates were both skilled martial artists and men of letters.
The legacy of the Central Guoshu Institute lives on at Kung Fu Connection!
Join us today and be part of a unique tradition!